Monday, September 16, 2013

Second Hand Cars Market In India

A used car can be much cheaper than its new counterpart. The depreciation is lesser and car financing too can be obtained easily. A survey was conducted and it was revealed that the demand for the used car market in India per year is 1.4 million cars. Isn’t that surprising?

Unfortunately, only 10 per cent of the Indian used car market is organized. The remaining 90 per cent remains unorganized. Out of this unorganized segment, 30 per cent belongs to the automobile vendors and the remaining 60 per cent transactions are usually carried out directly by the used car buyer and customer. Most of the time, the two parties know each other. Such transactions happen in large numbers but within the law limits of India.

Car buyers, however, need to be aware that such transactions can be risky. In a country like India used automobile buyers get cheated very often. The pricing, maintenance claims and clear ownership records can all be made up. Mechanics who test the used car and middlemen who carry out the deal can manipulate a decision. First timers who have no clear idea of the condition of used cars usually available in the used car market are fooled very easily. The good-for-nothing old automobile fetches a good price.

Second hand car dealers, very often, use fake parts to offer an attractive price. The used car dealers get 5-10 per cent commission by settling the deal through low-quality parts. The new old automobile is therefore prone to repairs every now and then. However, this is not always true. The second-hand Indian market also consists of sellers who sell off their well-maintained cars in order to upgrade to bigger cars.

A pre-owned automobile may not come with warranties, OEM parts, insurance and taxes and this is exactly where auto makers have endeavored to bring in a system of checks and balances. The second hand market in India today has certified used car outlets screened by car makers. For the automobile seller, the certified used car outlet gives the best market price, thorough evaluation by experts, and an option to choose any other automobile from the manufacturer range. For buyers, such outlets offer a lot more. They get a warranty on the used automobile, insurance, repairs that use OEM parts and thorough checkups by trained technicians.

Some of the well known certified used car dealers in the Indian market are Maruti TrueValue, Honda Auto Terrace, Ford Assured, Toyota U Trust, Hyundai Advantage, Mahindra and Mahindra’s First Choice. Many more are yet to come to India. The branded used car chains are slowly realizing the potential of the used car market.

Industry experts expect 50 per cent of the used cars sales to be brought under organized car market over a period of 3 years. Used car outlets will probably spread into II tier cities by 2012. Car makers have realized that the used car market can generate very high revenues. Top car players say that their used car ventures are paying handsome dividends. Hence the companies are now making it mandatory for their dealers to run used car outlets too.

The branded used car outlets have now started buying and selling off second hand cars from multiple brands. By offering a one-stop shop for all customer queries, the outlets can win over customer loyalty. They provide assistance in not just buying and selling, but in financing, insurance and many other services too.